Two for the price of one !

Sorry about the delay, password problems and too much work have kept me from updating this in a timely manner !


Anyway, Sunday saw me attending the Match Fishing Scene match at Tylers Common near Brentwood in Essex. To be honest it was a match I had no intention in fishing as from fetcham in Surrey where I live to Brentwood in Essex sounded like a long long way away. It wasn't until Ricky Baxter said he was going and woul dgive me a lift as he had to drive past my junction on the M25 to get there that the idea was planted in my mind.


As I like fishing new venues to me and it was also a qualifying match for the MFS Champions League, (a sort of Club league table based on positions in the qualifying matches - with a final at the Glebe for the top 20 anglers) I was actually quite excited at the prospect of fishing the match. We'd all been given a lot of advice by the venue regulars so armed with that knowledge, I left my house on Sunday at 7am with my bait bag containing, a bag of micro pelletts for feed, some dead maggotts, some 4mm pellets for feed, a bag of Marukyu 131 GB and a tub of Marukyu JPZ pellets.


The journey was suprisingly quick and following a breakfast at the bluewater services, (where Rick was convinced that someone was going to nick our tackle out of the car and went to look out the window every 5 minutes) ! We arrived at the draw just in time having taken a slight detour when we were nattering away and missed a turning to the fishery road and had to do a quick lap round again.


At the draw all the talk was that you wanted to be on Willow Lake (which later proved to be incorrect) and when I drew Wilow Peg 6 I was quite happy, even though I had no idea where it was. However, I didn't have to worry about a long walk as when I walked down the path to the lake, I nearly fell straight in Peg 6 (which was permanent peg 25). Although the short walk was good news I wasn't too happy with the peg as match organisor Carlostam was one peg too my right and being in the corner, I had nowhere to chuck a lead and if I fished out at 14 metres our pole floats were only about 5 metres away from each other if that. It was far worse for Carl though as at least I could fish to my left to get away from him as the 2 pegs to my left had been left out. Having decided not to bother with a lead or feeder, I set up to fish two long pole lines at 10 and 1 O'clock, a shorter line at 7 metres at the bottom of the shelf and a very short line at 3 metres next to the tree to my left. The depth on the 13 metre and 7 metre lines were the same and the rig consisted of a 4x14 Carpa Porth on 0.14 line with an 0.12 bottom attached to a size 18 Gamakatsu Pellet hook. I also set up a paste rig with 0.14 line straight through to a size 12 Gamakatsu Pellett hook.


I started on the long lines fishing a 4mm expander over toss potted micros but after a while with a number of roach and rudd in the net I was going nowhere fast. A switch to the short line made no difference as a 4mm pellet proved not to be THE bait after all -I'm sure due to the warmer weather and increased activity from the silvers.


A switch to small pieces of paste improved the situation greatly but after a while even that dried up. I could see Micky Locke was fishing maggot at 3 or 4 metres and catching a rudd or roach every put in, so as I was struggling for bites I thought I'd have a go. So, shallowing up my long pole rig and chopping some line off I started to feed sloppy GB loaded with dead maggots with a dead maggott or two on the hook. I started to catch a few roach and rudd but even that slowed due probably to the fact that I then had a 3lb carp and a couple of smaller ones. As there seemed to be a few carp on the short line I then quickly set up another paste rig and first put in with my green Swim stim / Garam Masala paste, the float shot under and I soon had another 3lber in the net. I continued to catch fish on and off on the short line but was soon being troubled by a lot of Parrot mouth carp in the peg who were bashing the bait to bits (Micky Locke reckons they were licking the paste until it was small enough to suck in) ! I was playing a fish as the whistle went so that was a nice finish to the match.

Having not seen lots caught to my right, I was quite looking forward to the weigh in and having packed up, went to the end of my section to help with the weigh in. I should clearly have paid a visit to Specsavers as Matt (Mr Foxman) on the end peg weighed 109-8-0 for a section win, a lake win and second place overall, next NS69 and Russell weighed 54-12-0 and 51-8-0 respcectively before Micky Locke plonked 70-4-0 on the scales. Luckily, match organisor and floating Expander supremo Carlostam weighed 8-6-0 before I weighed 48-2-0. Kupkit completed our section with 51-2-0 so despite having quite a nice days fishing, I finished up second to last in the section.

Bruce W won Ash lake with 125-10-0, also taking 2nd spot, followed on the lake they said you didn't want by Bomber with 106-0-0 and Young Lockie with 94-4-0. So, all in all a decent day was had by most on a venue which really picked up due to the warmer weather. I learnt a lot on my first visit there and look forward to a return visit some time soon.

The following Sunday saw me fishing the Willinghurst Open on Cherrytree and Pittance. To cut a long story short, there were probably 4 pegs I didn't want on the two lakes and I drew one of them ! Peg 9 on Cherrytree, nowhere near the isalnd or the narrow arm where all the carp live !
It was actually the coldest afternoon I think I have ever fished in and by the end of the match there were only 3 anglers remaining on our lake as the others had all packed up cos they couldn't feel their fingers or put any bait on the hook.

Nobby Drew Peg 1 up the arm on Cherrytree and won the match (and the Golden Peg) with 48lb odd, followed by Swifty on Peg 8 (with 45lb), Plummers was on Peg 7 and weighed 44lb despite packing up 75 minutes from the end cos he was so cold. Bag up Bob Poulton won Pittance with 43lb followed by dodgy John Radford the match organisor who had 41lb despite starting an hour after everyone else cos he got a call out from work !

Sunday sees me on the MFS match at Witherington farm and although it hasn't been fishing too well, I am really looking forward to it as I do like the fishery.

I will try to give you an earlier update next time !