Willinghurst - John's Lake

Right, this shouldn't take long ! Sunday saw me taking part in the Match Fishing Scene Clubman of the Year Southern Team qualifier on John's Lake. It was the first of three qualifiers to help Captain Terry Turnip (no that isn't his real name) to select a team for the forthcoming 1st round away to Feltham & Twickenham on Eric's Lake.

Going to bed Saturday night I was a bit concerned about the size of the moon as last time we fished the lake after a full moon the lake fished really hard. Anyway having got ready for bed, we set the alarm for a 6.30am start and entered the land of nod. Six thirty came and went as did 7.30am and then Mrs P looked at the clock and announced that the alarm hadn't gone off and it was now ten to eight.

I went downstairs, grabbed the phone and reported in before murdering a pint of maggotts and loading up the car. Although Willinghurst is regarded as my local venue, it is still half an hour away but we still managed to get there by 9.10am. I got quite excited as we drove up the drive to the lake as there were two big gaps in the pegging between pegs 12-20 (which is usually the best area and I'm sure one of them was mine. Unfortunately, they weren't and Peg 39 (which I really didn't fancy) was to be my home for the foreseeable future. Tactics for the day were to be a lead with bread,corn, and boilies hoping for a few carp with a switch to the GB Feeder or method if that wasn't producing. I also decided on two long pole lines at 10 and 2 o'clock and a short line at 7 metres.

Having left home in a rush, I'd managed to forget my bottle of drink and as I've given myself a migrainne before now by not drinking enough whilst fishing, I made my way to the cabin for a couple of cans - oh yes and a bacon sandwich as I'd had no breakfast ! As I left teh cabin I heard the "All In" and as I made my way past Plummers, he was already playing a carp he'd caught on the feeder. Arriving back at my peg, I fed four big balls of GB with a few loose offerings on one of the long lines and one ball on the other. I also balled in 4 balls at 7 metres. It may sound excessive for a winter match where you are looking to catch silvers but my past experience of fishing the lake and watching others is that they do love a bit of grub.

I then lobbed out a lead with bread on the hair rig and waited. Ten minutes later the tip went round and I soon had my first fish in the net, a carp of about 2lb. Despite switching hookbaits and casting about the peg I had no more fish in the following hour. Having left my pole lines to settle, I was now ready to bag up ! However, the first problem was that I couldn't now remember if I'd cupped my bait in line with Peg 17 or 19 on the far bank ! Don't laugh, you'll all be old one day !!!

Anyway that's it really ! I spent the rest of the match switching between the pole and lead and apart from one brief tussle with a foulhooked carp on the pole line that was the end of my match.
With only the top 10 in the match scoring points (or so I thought), I knew I was outside the top 10 so put my solitary carp back and made my way to the clubhouse for a welcome cuppa.

Result

Kev Bennett...................Peg 45.................13-12-0
Ricky Baxter..................Peg 14..................8-15-0
Martyn Dwayne............Peg 35.................8-8-0
Plummers......................Peg 23..................8-6-0
Terry Turnip.................Peg 26.................6-8-0
John Rhodes..................Peg 37..................6-8-0

With nothing planned for next week, I hastily arranged a match on Pittance lake but before then I have a trip to Ribbon Lake with Rick on wednesday to look forward to - so pop back later in the week to see how we got on.