Willinghurst - Wednesday Open

With some time off accrued at work, I had no hesitation in booking in for the weekly, "Old Boys, unemployed, sick, lame and lazy persons match" at Willinghurst and spent a lovely hour or so Tuesday evening stood in the kitchen pushing 5 tins of Lidls finest catfood through a riddle to make my Catfood paste.

As Plummers can't sleep, he again picked me up at 6.30am and within 25 minutes we were waiting outside the unopened cabin at Willinghurst, waiting for the 9am draw !

It did however give us a chance for a wander around most of the lakes and when walking round Top lake I really fancied Pegs 1,2,12,13 and any of the back spit - Pegs 22-26. However, having seen the pegging (fortunately we managed to stop Brian Wharton pegging it, as he does about as good a job as Stevie Wonder would), the only pegs I really didn't want were 16 and 18. Fortunately I managed to avoid those two pegs and drew Peg 10, not really a form peg but I did think I would catch a few fish in the edge late on.

After last Sundays comedy of errors, it was just nice to fish a half sensible match where my worst problem was that my cap blew off 5 times in the strong wind - in the end I tightened the cap so much that it started to give me a headache and I had to take it off.

For me, Willinghurst in the Summer is an out and out paste attack, so my Plan of action was to fish in the edge both sides about 5 metres to my left and 10 metres to my right (against the rushes) and also fish a line at about 8 metres, at 10 o'clock so I could fish "Down the wind". I had three carp early on then as usual with Willinghurst, the fish seem to stop feeding until about 3 o'clock when everyone would start to catch a few. Yesterday was no exception as I started to catch a few fish on the 8 metre line just after 3pm and then caught a few more in the edges as the match neared it's 5.30 finish.

Matthew (whose surname I don't know as he is new to Willinghurst), drew Peg 21 and following his second place last week, went one better, catching on and off on the feeder for most of the match and weighed 126lb. My 15 carp went 96-13-0 to finish well ahead of Plummers in third place on 78lb as I took his pound yet AGAIN !

Sunday sees us at Moorhouse Farm on the Sidewinder lake and as I don't think any of the club have fished it before (and I can't find anyone on the forums who has, it will certainly be an interesting match.